Facebook and Censorship

I found this article interesting: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-28/how-facebook-censored-me

I was recently suspended for 24 hours for calling an obvious troll a "troll". Was told I violated community standards! Years ago I was suspended for quoting C.S. Lewis (in context but without attribution) to a group of Episcopalians. I don't think they recognized the quote!

The problems with Facebook are that it most often isn't humans who are doing this, it is mathematical algorithms, also that they usually don't provide any real explanation, and especially that there is no easy and immediate way you can dispute their decision. it is like being sentenced for a crime without a trial.

I wouldn't use the service, except that I run useful groups on it and also use it to keep in touch with friends and family, most of whom aren't on other platforms.

Hopefully something better will come along eventually. They should provide an easy way for people to block posts and people they find offensive without the service itself censoring anyone.

Comments

Popular Posts