A Holiday Weekend - Camping, Hiking, and the Drag-on, Never Let Go Bronchitis!

I've had this horrible bronchial stuff for a week now. It lets up and then returns. Usually I get one bad cold a year, that hangs on for about 3 weeks. This year this is the third or fourth bad cold I've had!

We and the grandsons were supposed to go camping this weekend, but because of the illness we had to cancel. Just as well considering the weather!

Saturday I stayed inside and tried to bring my crashed desktop computer back to life with a new hard drive, but the Rescue disk couldn't find it to install the image. The bios saw it fine, so I downloaded Gparted, made a bootable usb drive, and formatted it, but still had no luck. Eventually the restore program started booting to a black screen, so I gave up. Spent about 12 hours fooling with it!

Yesterday, not wanting to share my cold with the church, I took the grandsons and Lucy the Dog on a short hike on the trails at the old "One World Conservation Center" in Bennington to make up for not going camping. Unfortunately no one seems to be maintaining the place anymore - the trails were overgrown and as it was wet we were soon soaked. I had read one of the colleges was going to take it over, but if so there is no sign of it. Jewett Brook was over the trail near the bridge - the two grandsons walked right through it getting wet feet. I pushed through the brush along the side, a decision I was later to regret. By the time we made the "Birch Lookout Trail" which was blocked by fallen trees and brush, the youngest wanted to go home, so we turned around.

I did get some photos and it would have been a pleasant place on a sunny day.

Jewett Brook

Mt. Anthony in the Clouds

We decided to try the Hospital and SVC trails, but by the time we got there the youngest was hungry and it was starting to rain. We went to Burger King for lunch. While we were eating, ticks started running around the table and I found out I was loaded with them, so we left there and went home to remove ticks and shower. The youngest only had one and the oldest none. I was the fool who pushed through the brush! I had about 7 or 8, not counting the ones I squashed at Burger King! Two were attached.

We spent the rest of the day watching one movie after another, though I spent a lot of it coughing badly. Didn't sleep well last night - sounded like I was breathing underwater, and ended up getting out of bed at 3:30 am, so used a laptop to process photos and post them, plus started in again on the desktop and have spent most of the day on that. Spent a couple of hours setting and resetting things in the bios. Finally I made a bootable USB drive with Xubuntu Linux on it (I had an iso on the laptop), booted that up, and went through the installation. It is still installing, but seems to be doing so without problem. No problem finding the drive and I can hear it running. When it is done, I will try it and see how it works. If it does and continues to do so for a few days, I will get the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) and Windows PE and try going that route. Computers are nice when they work. Microsoft makes everything far more difficult than it needs to be to prevent people working on and controlling their own machines. If I waste much more time on it, I will dump Windows entirely and just go with Linux. Will lose some of my programs and data, but for most of what I do - processing photos - Linux works just as well.

Comments

Popular Posts