This Blog

     I haven't really done much with this blog recently, but having subscribed to a couple of other interesting ones, I feel that I should not only write more, but get away from the really stupid national political stuff and focus on normal life and local things.
     The other day it was really hot and humid and I got rather stressed and backed the Ford Focus into the Jeep. I only broke the tail-light on the Jeep, but pushed in the whole tailgate on the Focus wagon. Just having finished working on my daughter's car and helping on my son-in-law's, I wasn't too happy to have a lot of damage I had to repair! However, I picked up all the pieces of the tail-light and put them back together (quite a jigsaw puzzle), welding them together with a soldering iron. Then I ordered up a new one from Amazon.
     I got to the Focus yesterday, removing the inside plastic panel and beating the hatch open with a length of 4x4. Then I hammered it out, having to remove some inside metal with a cut-off wheel to get at it. After forcing it somewhat back in square with a huge pipe wrench my Dad had, I got it so it would open and shut, though it isn't right and won't seal. Not a job I am proud of, but I always hated body work! I will have to get a new "junkyard" hatch, but in the meantime I can use it!
     I feel like I am working again as an automotive technician!
     Yesterday was a beautiful day. Sun and mist. I wanted to take some photos, but first had to take the grandson to pre-school and run to the auto parts store in Cambridge for a tail-light bulb for the Jeep. On the way home I took the back road over Waite's Hill and took some photos. Got a couple of nice ones. It was a strange day in a way. Few were out and about. There were no frenetic drivers trying to get to their destination 5 milliseconds faster than the day before. It was quiet - no roar of planes and no contrails. May just have been the weather there. Very peaceful and pleasant. Today seems back to "normal".
Mist on Waite's Hill Road
     The news says that hurricane Maria has hit category 5 and is hitting the Carribean islands hard. Puerto Rico is supposed to get a direct hit. I am thankful to the Lord that we seldom get them here in upstate NY. Probably my earliest memory is of Hurricane Carol, (1954?) when the whole house was moving in the wind and my Mom was pushing towels in around the door with a knife blade to keep the rain from blasting in around it.
     Today my daughter is coming back for me to fix her parking brake. She paid a huge amount last Feb. to have them repaired, but it seems that the latest repair of her rear wheel bearing at a local garage resulted in the damage and loss of a part to the park brake system!

Comments

Popular Posts